1993-09-12 - Re: Spooks reading the list

Header Data

From: doug@netcom5.netcom.com (Doug Merritt)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 05968b327fc8c37c6bd0718feeda68aeaf9da741ea4faaf055490e2365fb7004
Message ID: <9309120147.AA02481@netcom5.netcom.com>
Reply To: <lg2g+@andrew.cmu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-12 01:53:13 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 11 Sep 93 18:53:13 PDT

Raw message

From: doug@netcom5.netcom.com (Doug Merritt)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 93 18:53:13 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Spooks reading the list

Liam David Gray <lg2g+@andrew.cmu.edu> said:
>Nobody, when I read the original post I assumed the "we" you're talking
>about was 'we, the Cypherpunks.'  I.e., if NSA were truly Evil Incarnate
>Central, the Cypherpunks would be fighting "a Valiant War ["We Are Fated
>to Lose"]".

Righto. If you're going to be paranoid, you may as well read more carefully.
The message in question was unambiguous; there were no Freudian slips
in it.

Like I said recently, the NSA wouldn't be doing their job if they weren't
following an obvious list like this. But you can trust them not to be
completely moronic. Information gatherers are likely to be complete
lurkers, and if they go for agent provocateurs, they'll likely be selected
and trained well enough to avoid IQ 80 slipups.

I've known NSA employees and contractors in the past and present. Nothing
regarding ultra secret work, else I'm sure I'd never have known about it,
nor gotten involved, etc. But still, it's just another government agency,
with a big budget, fingers in many pies, and with perhaps a higher than
average individual and collective intelligence (no pun intended) from what
I've seen. The NSA even goes to some open technical conferences; sometimes they
even host one (on more mundane computer matters, of course).

There's every reason to think that they're merely watching the situation
to see what happens. I doubt if they've even seen reason to put other
agencies like the FBI on alert. But if anything, if you want to be paranoid,
be paranoid about folks like the FBI and SS and Justice Department. They'd be
the ones to move in for the kill, you know, if anyone thought there was reason
to do so.

If you *must* be paranoid, just assume *I'm* from the NSA. I'll even
claim to speak for them. (I'm fairly sure I won't be contradicted. ;-)

Ok, here goes: "play nice, kids."  There, a pronouncement from the heart
of Evil Incarnate Central. :-)
	Doug

Thread