1993-09-21 - Re: Gopher access to Federal Register

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: gnu@toad.com (John Gilmore)
Message Hash: 0897fd367309c3d5f8163d0529e75a5ee983ef055d17f4a37ae79f2d21b792f1
Message ID: <9309211605.AA22029@snark.lehman.com>
Reply To: <9309211544.AA23924@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-21 16:08:04 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 21 Sep 93 09:08:04 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 93 09:08:04 PDT
To: gnu@toad.com (John Gilmore)
Subject: Re: Gopher access to Federal Register

John Gilmore says:
> Gopher to gopher.internet.com, port 2002, and you will find the Federal
> Register online.  For most documents, you can only get the first
> 100 lines, but the use of the indexes is free, and many documents
> are useful in this form.
>
> You can pay them for access to the full documents, but they prohibit
> republishing online -- though you're free to print the documents out.
> What heart these guys have!

This can't be legal. You can copyright a collection, true, but you
can't hold copyright on an element of a collection of public domain
information. I'd check with a lawyer first, but I don't think they can
actually legally stop you.

Perry

Thread