1993-09-18 - Re: WE’RE UNDER ATTACK

Header Data

From: Marc Horowitz <marc@MIT.EDU>
To: “L. Detweiler” <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Message Hash: 0ba665daf0de7a13d676c578c7773b169488ea8eeeaa654bc481a4c8eebbd3bc
Message ID: <9309181957.AA24648@deathtongue.MIT.EDU>
Reply To: <9309180534.AA27719@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-18 19:59:38 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 18 Sep 93 12:59:38 PDT

Raw message

From: Marc Horowitz <marc@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 93 12:59:38 PDT
To: "L. Detweiler" <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Subject: Re: WE'RE UNDER ATTACK

>> However, my initial reaction is that the subpoenas seem to be
>> OVERBROAD. They could be argued by a competent attorney, given the
>> simultaneous targeting of two completely disparate cryptographic
>> enterprises, to represent an OUTRAGEOUS FISHING EXPEDITION. Isn't there
>> a way to contest a subpoena in court? these legal mechanisms need to be
>> employed IMMEDIATELY.

Lance, calm down.  PRZ and ViaCrypt have their own lawyers.  Mike
Godwin in contact with PRZ, and we all saw Shari's message from the
exec dir of the EFF, so they are involved.

We are technologists, not lawyers.  For now, I'll let the lawyers
formulate the response to this attack.  They know the game better than
you or I do.  When my help is requested, they'll get it.

For now, we need to continue doing what we've been doing: distributing
technology, experimenting with remailers, and increasing awareness.
Not taking the government on with no tools, no experience, and no
clue.

		Marc

Thread