1993-09-21 - Standard Headers for Anonymous Remailers

Header Data

From: mentor@indial1.io.com (Loyd Blankenship)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 133ecb1d57e1ab096a971a5f3c00f765f06d4672fa9b14b0ff64f74b6b4ac8d9
Message ID: <9309210352.AA18893@indial1.io.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 20 Sep 93 21:00:01 PDT

Raw message

From: mentor@indial1.io.com (Loyd Blankenship)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 93 21:00:01 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Standard Headers for Anonymous Remailers

Cpunks:
	We've been kicking around the pros and cons of anonymous remailers
here at io.com. One of the big problems is anonymous bombardment of a
helpless newsgroup. This (and the problem of auto-screening anonymous
mail) could be solved if there was a standard header keyword (or maybe
even a new header field) that could be screened from a newsgroup. The
group would have to be semi-moderated -- an automatic filter passes on
all posts except those with the keyword in the appropriate header field.

	If anonymous posts aren't annoying enough to instigate the
creation of such a filtered newsgroup, then they probably aren't enough
of a problem in that group to worry about.

	Words such as "anon" and "anonymous" might occur naturally in
the headers. I'd propose something like "ANONYPOST" or "ANONPOST" that
isn't likely to occur in nature.

	Voluntary adoption of this type of standard by remailers would
take away some of the ammo that the anti-anon frothers are shooting,
and would go a long way toward improving the image of remailers in
general.

	Comments?
	Loyd

* Loyd Blankenship        mentor@io.com                  ^              *
* Steve Jackson Games     CI$: [73407,515]              / \             *
* PO Box 18957            GEnie: SJGAMES               / O \            *
* Austin, TX  78760                                   /_____\           *
* 512/447-7866                                                          *