1993-09-14 - REMAIL: list

Header Data

From: Karl Lui Barrus <klbarrus@owlnet.rice.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 17470252fef2960466a7f20ee94fb2fe2bc9b4b6b99f422e3bb96e810e214608
Message ID: <9309142142.AA15094@flammulated.owlnet.rice.edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 14:44:04 PDT

Raw message

From: Karl Lui Barrus <klbarrus@owlnet.rice.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 14:44:04 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: REMAIL: list

::
Anon-To: cypherpunks@toad.com

Here is an interim release of the list, which includes the elee9sf@menudo
and elee6ue@rosebud remailer.  (And you thought I was joking when I said
that some people run remailers that aren't announced :-)

I cleaned up the scripts at elee6ue@rosebud, and in the process of creating
the proper directories for caching (which is NOT implemented just yet) I
zapped the pgp directory and the keyrings... so now there is a new key
for elee6ue@rosebud.ee.uh.edu, keyid = BBC00D.  Sorry about that!

Also, my key klbarrus@owlnet.rice.edu, keyid = 5AD633 has an A.K.A. on
it for elee9sf@menudo.uh.edu.  This is NOT the public key to the remailer,
whose keyid is DC9EE9.

I sign the public keys of remailers I have verified as working, so if you
get the latest pubkeys.tar.gz file from soda or the keys from me, you
will find a signature from 5AD633 on them.

Lastly, thanks to folks who are contributing programs to help other use
the remailers!  I decided to keep my offerings as shell scripts or batch
files, but there is only so much these languages can do, so I welcome
"high" level help programs (source included :-).  Nate's program is
mentioned, but not Alex's (yet) since it isn't available via ftp (yet).
I'll try to keep on top of this stuff.

Cypherpunk anonymous remailers, 9/15/93

Q1: What are the anonymous remailers?

A1:

 1: nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
 2: hh@cicada.berkeley.edu
 3: hh@pmantis.berkeley.edu
 4: hh@soda.berkeley.edu
 5: 00x@uclink.berkeley.edu
 6: cdodhner@indirect.com
 7: hal@alumni.caltech.edu
 8: cs60a-qu@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu
 9: ebrandt@jarthur.claremont.edu
10: catalyst@netcom.com
11: sameer@netcom.com
12: remailer@rebma.mn.org
13: elee6ue@rosebud.ee.uh.edu
14: elee7h5@rosebud.ee.uh.edu
15: hfinney@shell.portal.com
16: remail@tamsun.tamu.edu
17: remail@tamaix.tamu.edu
18: remailer@utter.dis.org
19: remailer@entropy.linet.org
20: elee9sf@menudo.uh.edu
21: remail@extropia.wimsey.com

NOTES:

1-6		no encryption of remailing requests
7-20		support encrypted remailing requests
21		special - header and message must be encrypted together
12,18,19,21	introduce larger than average delay (not direct connect)
12,18,21	running on privately owned machines
20              supports RIPEM encryption, caches all requests

Q2: What help is available?

A2:

Check out the pub/cypherpunks/remailer directory at soda.berkeley.edu
(128.32.149.19).

chain.zip             - program that helps with using remailers
dosbat.zip            - MSDOS batch files that help with using remailers
hal's.instructions.gz - in depth instruction on how to use
hal's.remailer.gz     - remailer code
pubkeys.tar.gz        - public keys of remailers which support encryption
pubkeys.zip           - MSDOS zip file of public keys
scripts.tar.gz        - scripts that help with using remailers

Also, at 129.82.156.104 in /pub/pgpc/ are two files: pgp22.tar.gz,
pgp22.tar.Z which assist in using the anonymous remailers, including
anon.penet.fi.

Mail to me (klbarrus@owlnet.rice.edu) for further help and/or questions.

Q3.  Email-to-Usenet gateways?

A3.

 1: group-name@cs.utexas.edu
 2: group.name.usenet@decwrl.dec.com
 3: group.name@news.demon.co.uk
 4: group.name@news.cs.indiana.edu
 5: group-name@pws.bull.com
 6: group-name@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

NOTES:

*  This does not include ones that work for single groups, like twwells.com.
#1 apparently blocks anonymous remailer posts
#6 blocks from non-berkeley sites (so use the berkeley remailers :-)

Thread