1993-09-15 - Re: more than spread spectrum

Header Data

From: “George A. Gleason” <gg@well.sf.ca.us>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 210c34877f584100ea59dc51e20f72e444d2bbf7a0b6021965e33a3f9410120e
Message ID: <93Sep15.020336pdt.14247-1@well.sf.ca.us>
Raw Date: Wed, 15 Sep 93 02:05:14 PDT

Raw message

From: "George A. Gleason" <gg@well.sf.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 93 02:05:14 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:  more than spread spectrum

Re. Carl's suggestion to "lay our own wires/fibers..."

That's exactly what I'm up to with the Community Dialtone project.
Basically it comes down to having a neighborhood switch.  We may be doing
our first installation in the Winter, about 800 lines if all goes well.
Seems to me that owning the switching & transmission infrastructure has a
lot of possibilities.  Anyway, more news to come on this in a few weeks...

The thing is, I've looked into things like having infrared laser networks
and various non-switched message relay systems... these just don't have the
overall reliability of a decent switched system, for a large number of
reasons which essentially boil down to the fact that each individual link is
weak enough that even a redundant system can break down badly at points
where the link density is relatively thin.  Then also there's the question
of economic feasilbility; to make a decentralised/non-switched system work,
you need an application that is *so* popular that everyone in an area will
want to be in.  This comes down to subscriber density, and the issue is
basically the same with telephone lines, but everyone needs a phone line...
cable TV has high market penetration but satellite TV doesn't... how can we
expect a lot of average folks to set up an infrared relay, eh...?  Seems to
me the best thing is to have the IR relays located where they can connect
among the switching systems serving the various blocks and neighborhoods.
(and if anyone's figured out how to do that at 2.048 Mb, i.e. approx double
T1, please email me ASAP).

-gg

Thread