1993-09-23 - Propriety of crypto on Mu

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Message Hash: 5ab33adb5742e76c06331df3205a344469cb349141a6cba2b6f9ce852b96150b
Message ID: <199309231825.AA00822@panix.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 23 Sep 93 11:28:56 PDT

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 93 11:28:56 PDT
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Subject: Propriety of crypto on Mu

H>So Congress and the court agree that the propriety of an item's
H>placement on the Munitions List is not a matter for the courts to
H>decide.  There appears to be little chance that any prosecution for AECA
H>violations will result in the judical removal of cryptographic equipment
H>from the Munitions List.

However, cryptographic software being writings not equipment could be
protected.  Thanks for your postings Hal but I note that the Supremes
haven't spoken yet.  Even though it is tough to get a grant of cert, if we
were able to a different result might occur.

Note that in a number of "regulatory" first amendment cases, the appeals
courts decided in favor of the government while the Supremes voted
unanimously in favor of freedom of communication.  Sometimes you have to
make it up the ladder.

Two examples (sans names because I'm doing this from memory):  The
Newsletter Case of 1985.  SEC tried for years to get investment
newsletters to register as security advisors.  They picked a good test
case.  Man was barred from security industry for perfidity kept running
newsletters, SEC sued to force registration (which would have been
rejected), SEC lost at trial, C of A went for the government, Supremes
voted 8-0 for the defendent.

Minnesota or Wisconsin case -- man speaks at public hearing held by school
board, State Labor Commissioner sues him for "unfair labor practice", he
is a teacher and they accused him of 'negotiating with his employer
outside of the collective bargaining process,' he loses at every level
until he wins unanimously at State Supreme Court Level.

It ain't over 'till it's over.

Why don't UK companies produce PGP software for sale in the US?  They
couldn't be reached as easily.

Duncan Frissell

A little war poetry for our current war:

(brought to you as a public service by Frissell & Associates, Privacy
Consultants)

"FOR ALL WE HAVE AND ARE"

1914   by You Know Who

FOR all we have and are,