1993-09-15 - Re: more than spread spectrum

Header Data

From: stig@netcom.com (Stig)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6b45c501b8fd9050fc4ebc68bf83621761518a2d9cd2ba6e485f616e8e156e82
Message ID: <9309150426.AA00948@netcom2.netcom.com>
Reply To: <9309150353.AA06198@ellisun.sw.stratus.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-15 04:29:07 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 21:29:07 PDT

Raw message

From: stig@netcom.com (Stig)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 21:29:07 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: more than spread spectrum

In <9309150353.AA06198@ellisun.sw.stratus.com>, Carl Ellison wrote...
> There are alternatives to spread spectrum, if we're threatened with
> loss of freedom to communicate.
>
> We could lay our own wires/fibers.

Well, we'd like crypto for the masses and I don't think that the masses are
yet ready to put out the bucks for spread spectrum boards and infrared laser
communications gear...  It'd be really nice to have such a decentralized
network, though.

> We could set up a mesh network of infrared lasers through the air.  Last
> time I looked, there were no laws against shining lights out your window as
> long as they didn't bother anyone.  An infrared laser could hardly bother
> anyone.

> very low range radio, ....  Each card would connect to three or more
> neighbors and become part of the global mesh.  Adaptive routing with no
> global map would suffice for the card and would keep the whole system
> peer-to-peer with no need for central control and no chance for central
> tapping.

This would be the perfect network in which to deploy DC nets....  (dining
cryptographers).

;; Stig@netcom.com                            netcom.com:/pub/stig/00-PGP-KEY
;; It's hard to be cutting-edge at your own pace...   32 DF B9 19 AE 28 D1 7A
;; Bullet-proof code cannot stand up to teflon bugs.  A3 9D 0B 1A 33 13 4D 7F

Thread