1993-09-20 - Re: Definition of “Zero Knowledge”

Header Data

From: bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6cec5f774962ed546b8eed698642fb007c9501eb9c4d8fbb9f1d0a51ebebb770
Message ID: <CDMJCD.8FC@twwells.com>
Reply To: <9309191615.AA18299@netcom4.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-20 00:06:57 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 19 Sep 93 17:06:57 PDT

Raw message

From: bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 93 17:06:57 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Definition of "Zero Knowledge"

In article <9309191615.AA18299@netcom4.netcom.com>,
Doug Merritt <doug@netcom.com> wrote:
: An arbitrary algorithm can be translated into a zero proof theory model
: that is intractable to functionally analyze. Its operations on inputs and
: outputs can take place within the realm of the intractable model, with
: the inputs and outputs being transformed from the encoding of the outside
: realm into an encoding useful to the realm of the model. The inputs and
: outputs are the queries and answers of zero proof theory.
:
: With such a thing, knowing every detail of the registers and instructions
: being executed at all times still wouldn't tell you what you really
: wanted to know.

So, with such a translated algorithm, even if I had the complete
source code, I would be unable to determine what it does? If you
create one of these, be sure to submit it to the Obfuscated C
contest; it'll be the ultimate! :-)

: I'm unsure whether this has been published, let alone implemented; I just
: thought it was an obvious corollary back when ZPT itself was first published.
: It might have been discussed in the literature at the time, but if so,
: I've forgotten.

Got a good reference for ZPT? Something that the mathematically
inclined, who wants just the facts, all the facts, and none of
the BS that passes for explanations and which usually obscures
more than it clarifies?

Thread