1993-09-30 - Source for MacPGP 2.3

Header Data

From: jrk@sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 78e8ec80def8503abc80e52c7caf3c050dd6064272a09e53c9ba0efedd5536d2
Message ID: <18775.9309301202@s5.sys.uea.ac.uk>
Raw Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 05:01:54 PDT

Raw message

From: jrk@sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 05:01:54 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Source for MacPGP 2.3

I wrote:
>I have MacPGP 2.3 (the Macintosh application).  From what ftp site can I
>obtain the source?  soda only has Mac source for 2.2.

In fact, I've found that I do have the source for MacPGP 2.3 (although
someone told me the source wasn't released yet).  I can't remember where I
got it though.

I won't undertake to email it to anyone, nor to place it on anonftp
indefinitely, as the only anonftp area I have is on my desktop machine.
However, I'm not going to be around for about a week, so I'm willing to
make it available during that time.

Any last-minute demands for me not to do this for some reason?  Tough, I'm
about to leave, after which it's out of my hands.

                One-time offer, valid for one week only!!

MacPGP2.3 application, documentation, and source (for Symantec (Think) C
5.0.4), will be available by anon ftp on jrk.sys.uea.ac.uk, from Thurs 30
Sep (today) 14:00 GMT until Fri 8 October 08:00 GMT.  Note that this
machine is in the UK.  It is the responsibility of those accessing it to
satisfy themselves of the legality of their actions.  These files are
available strictly on an "as-is" basis, with no warranty, express or
implied, concerning their contents.

Instructions:

ftp to jrk.sys.uea.ac.uk and give the following commands.

        user anonymous
(Give your email name as password...or not.  All transfers will be logged.)
        cd "RK's Public Folder"
(Yes, there are spaces in the name of the directory.  This is a Macintosh.)
        ascii
        get macpgp2.3src.sea.hqx.pgp
(NB. If you are ftp-ing from anything but another Mac, the above file must
be transferred in ASCII mode.)
        binary
        get macpgp2.3.sit

Once you have these files, you need to do the following steps:

0.  Put both files on a Mac, if they aren't there already.

1.  Use Stuffit 1.5.1 or any decoder (such as DownLine) which understands
that format to decode macpgp2.3.sit.  This will give several files, one of
which is the MacPGP 2.3 application.

2.  Use the application to verify the signature on macpgp2.3src.sea.hqx.pgp
and to strip the ascii armoring from it, creating a file
macpgp2.3src.sea.hqx.  (If you already have PGP on a unix machine, you can
do this there and then transfer the .hqx file to the Mac.)

3.  Use a BinHex decoder to decode macpgp2.3src.sea.hqx.  This yields an
application macpgp2.3src.sea.

4.  Run that application, and it will decode itself into the source for
MacPGP2.3.

Paranoids should note that macpgp2.3.sit is not PGP-signed, and you only
have my word that it does what I say it does.  macpgp2.3src.sea.hqx.pgp is
signed, but not by me, and I am not in a position to certify its signature.
 I use MPW C, so I haven't even compiled the source myself.

I am *not* able to answer any questions about MacPGP itself, nor will I or
anyone else be available during the coming week to sort out any ftp
problems.  I will probably be out of reach of email during that time as
well.

Richard Kennaway                  __\_ /    School of Information Systems
Internet:  jrk@sys.uea.ac.uk      \  X/     University of East Anglia
uucp:  ...mcsun!ukc!uea-sys!jrk    \/       Norwich NR4 7TJ, U.K.

Thread