1993-09-29 - Re: Clipper specifics

Header Data

From: Eli Brandt <ebrandt@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 80fed7c54d93102814f91ad9c5d2adaaa279af3db3f294e8c571157f375a9cd2
Message ID: <9309292009.AA01715@toad.com>
Reply To: <9309290733.AA19505@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-29 20:11:47 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 29 Sep 93 13:11:47 PDT

Raw message

From: Eli Brandt <ebrandt@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 93 13:11:47 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Clipper specifics

I said:
> Their spokesagency, NIST, has said that it will be illegal to encrypt
> on top of Skipjack or to mung the LEEF.

Checking the relevant document again, I think this is wrong:
--------------------
 Federal Information Processing Standards Publication XX
 1993 XX
 Announcing the Escrowed Encryption Standard (EES)

[blah blah]

The security equipment shall ensure that the LEAF is transmitted
in such a manner that the LEAF and ciphertext may be decrypted
with legal authorization. No additional encryption or modification
of the LEAF is permitted.

[...]

I remembered this text out of context.  Correctly interpreted, it
looks like it's just a specification for devices implementing the
(voluntary, natch) Escrowed Encryption Standard.  Sorry about that.

   Eli   ebrandt@jarthur.claremont.edu

Thread