1993-09-14 - Re: The “Cypherpunk Melting Pot”

Header Data

From: msattler@netcom.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 910952112c0a54a74b13dc69f5cf2e4e17775964fb2a5bbd3b0d908fdb803979
Message ID: <9309140743.AA14959@netcom.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 00:43:51 PDT

Raw message

From: msattler@netcom.com
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 00:43:51 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The "Cypherpunk Melting Pot"

Anonymous <nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> said:
> 5.  Cypherpunks' mission is to evangelize the use of
>     privacy.  Sell the sizzle, not the steak!  Privacy
>     is the steak.  The sizzle is the possibility of
>     GETTING AWAY WITH SOMETHING.

I have a real problem with the attempted marriage of anarchy and the
Bill of Rights.  I'm interested in the issue of privacy not because I want
to screw our government out of my taxes, but because I want to have
the ability to communicate with any of you in private.  At different times
in our history certain opinions have been suspect for what we now consider
no good reason.  If I'm a homosexual, I want to be able to communicate with
others without worrying that my employer will monitor my email and fire
me for being homosexual.  If I'm Jewish, and I work in the deep south...

Privacy is the ability to keep and communicate thoughts without worrying
about someone using them against you.  I'm offended to be clumped in with
anyone who advocates selling privacy to get away with something.

Michael S. Sattler         msattler@netcom.com        +1 (415) 358-3058
Digital Jungle Software    Encrypt now; ask me how.   (finger to get PGP
key)

Thread