1993-09-26 - Re: the public key minefield

Header Data

From: smb@research.att.com
To: baumbach@atmel.com
Message Hash: a5711a9610c550a24032ec4154894fb4e5eef4718afbc36866feb1000e5652ff
Message ID: <9309260135.AA12967@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 25 Sep 93 18:35:52 PDT

Raw message

From: smb@research.att.com
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 93 18:35:52 PDT
To: baumbach@atmel.com
Subject: Re: the public key minefield

	 Doesn't a patent have to have enough information for a person skilled
	 in the art to construct a prototype?

	 I publish for the first time here my invention.  I will patent it with
	 in a years time.
	                        Striped Vegetables

	 ----
	 This isn't enough for anyone to do anything.  If I were more
	 specific, I might have something patentable, but then by
	 claims wouldn't be as broad.  If you figured out how to make
	 an anti-gravity device.  That device would be patentable.  The
	 concept of "anti-gravity" device is not patentable.  If I
	 could duplicate the effect of your anti-gravity device without
	 using any of the same novel mechanisms.  My device would be
	 separately patentable.

You seem to have missed my earlier summary of how patents are structured.
A separate part of the patent from the claims describes how to build the
claimed device.  The claims aren't supposed to.

Thread