1993-09-15 - Random numbers

Header Data

From: an31185@anon.penet.fi (Anon of Ibid)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: aeedde40008b78c8b11adc3c96ff2e0dc1fcdf0fc30039cd8f79833ef290f6b7
Message ID: <9309152204.AA24574@anon.penet.fi>
Raw Date: Wed, 15 Sep 93 15:05:31 PDT

Raw message

From: an31185@anon.penet.fi (Anon of Ibid)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 93 15:05:31 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Random numbers

mjr@TIS.COM writes:
>So figure you want more than 56 bits of pure unpredictability as your
>seed. This is a tricky problem. One option is to give the user a typematic
>buffer: "hit keys for 30 seconds" - you NEED unpredictability!

So, it sounds like what we *really* need is a little box with a shot-noise
generator that attaches to a serial port and generates truly random
numbers to use for the key. Anyone out there feel like designing one for us ?

Also, what's the recommended book/books on cryptanalysis ? Looks like
I have a fair amount to read up on.....

To find out more about the anon service, send mail to help@anon.penet.fi.
Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to admin@anon.penet.fi.

Thread