1993-09-11 - Re: Digital warfare

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b9ee8675c33e6c17eb1db92296d94195a22fb363acf9ecec682f032bc7ba0c1f
Message ID: <9309110127.AA10043@snark.lehman.com>
Reply To: <9309110057.AA26559@ellisun.sw.stratus.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-11 01:32:55 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 10 Sep 93 18:32:55 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 93 18:32:55 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Digital warfare

Carl Ellison says:
> For example, crypto-anarchic banks -- cute idea -- but if you ever want a
> cop to make your banker give you the money, the banker can't be anonymous
> and neither can you account be.

Perhaps the banker can't be anonymous, but the account certainly can
be. Many countries have centuries of experience with this. Hell, the
Austrians have 100% anonymous accounts to this day. Works just fine,
and no trust is involved.

> In fact, if the FBI has planted agents on this list, I wouldn't be
> surprised to discover someday that they were among the vocal anarchists.

Feel free to check my credentials. I assure you I earn more than
enough money at my job that it wouldn't be worth the FBI's money to
make the bribe big enough -- it would also have to cover the risk to
me that being an anarchist presents vis a vis my job -- someday I
might lose it for having strange political ideas, and salaries like
mine are hard to come by in other professions.

Its entirely possible that there are FBI agents on this list -- I
proceed on that assumption every day. Its also possible that there are
agents provocateur. However, I fully assure you that many of us are
legitimate anarchists of long standing, most of us being of the
capitalist anarchist persuasion.

I'll fully agree that arguing for anarchy with the general public
won't work at the current time -- and I agree that our image is
important. However, at this point the battle is being fought by folks
like EFF and CPSR. I for one don't see any reason to hide my politics,
although I try not to make an issue of it.

Perry

Thread