1993-09-15 - Re: PGPC 2.2 available…Problems with GNUZIP??

Header Data

From: loki@convex1.TCS.Tulane.EDU (the mischeivious god)
To: tigger@indirect.com (Jiva De Voe)
Message Hash: baa805d83d3730044466ff566c80065f2dbcbb4ca8b6b59a2d5a82ed433712cc
Message ID: <9309151527.AA15762@convex1.tcs.tulane.edu>
Reply To: <199309150712.AA17262@indirect.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-15 15:29:10 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 15 Sep 93 08:29:10 PDT

Raw message

From: loki@convex1.TCS.Tulane.EDU (the mischeivious god)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 93 08:29:10 PDT
To: tigger@indirect.com (Jiva De Voe)
Subject: Re: PGPC 2.2 available...Problems with GNUZIP??

> > PGPC 2.2 is available for anonymous ftp from 129.82.156.104
> > in /pub/pgpc/pgpc22.tar.[Z,gz]
> >
> > It is available in either gnuzip or regular compress.
> >

> I still can't get this critter decompressed.  Is this some sort of joke or
> something?  Has anyone been able to decompress it?  gnuzip sez not a
> zipped file.  Uncompress sez, not a compressed file, gunzip won't read it,
> tar won't read it.  I'd really like to try this fellow's product, but have
> received no reply to my email about how to decompress it and can't make it
> work.
>
> Mebbe some kind person could send me a tar version?

Ok nate@monet.vis.colostate.edu sez that you can trick the host ftp site
into decompressing 4 U!!!1

Use "get" instead of the easier wildcard "mget" and the ftp site does the rest
just follow the prompts...if any.

However, I am not sure that the ftp sites appreciate this practice so
don't do this if you can find alternate means...

Also, ftp time takes a LOT longer...so get a cup of tea and sit by your
terminal as you need to do some typing if you are going to "get" several
.gz files.

LOKI on a crippled convex with a fucked kermrc (send me a good one please)
and no gnuzip util on the site at all.

Thread