1993-09-30 - misc crypto stuff

Header Data

From: jet@netcom.com (J. Eric Townsend)
To: “mycal (voices through your head @ 88.1MHz)” <mike@NetAcsys.com>
Message Hash: be52b3ec53f3af5caa6e77a895bcf83b58b11543e8e6263176e54b72e3a33f65
Message ID: <9309301833.AA13178@netcom6.netcom.com>
Reply To: <2caa2729.acsys@NetAcsys.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-30 18:36:55 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 11:36:55 PDT

Raw message

From: jet@netcom.com (J. Eric Townsend)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 11:36:55 PDT
To: "mycal (voices through your head @ 88.1MHz)" <mike@NetAcsys.com>
Subject: misc crypto stuff

"mycal (voices through your head @ 88.1MHz)" writes:
 > First a prediction, soon the news media will pick up on a major story on
 > somthing like child porn being transfered around using something like
 > PGP.  It will get blown out of preportion, and there will be a call to
 > outlaw anything but government approved government decodeable encription.

Already happened.  The fellow used something like PGP, if not PGP, to
encrypt stuff to disk.  If I remember correctly (Mike G., help me out
here) he was asked to cough up the passwords in court as part of the
legal proceedings. (I remember this only because of the following
discussion of 'can a court make me give out my passwords?)  No call
for banning of encryption by The Media(tm).

Thread