1993-09-20 - Re: Encrypted logins?

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c46bb1414584c602d8d086f1131e4c30903df9d7fb77522d218eab833e8fa381
Message ID: <9309201554.AA15303@snark.lehman.com>
Reply To: <199309201329.AA04289@visgraph.uucp>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-20 15:57:12 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 20 Sep 93 08:57:12 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 93 08:57:12 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Encrypted logins?

Forrest Aldrich says:
> Is there a way to set up an encrypted login session, whereby the calling
> program would need a 'key' in order to decrypt the connection to even
> see the 'login: ' prompt?

There are many such systems. I suppose the kerberos suite's "klogin"
is the most popular these days, and options were being defined in
telnet to allow end to end encryption, though I don't know where
they've gotten to at this point.

> I thought I saw something like this for the
> ham-radio enthusiasts.  It uses plain-DES to do the work.  But this would
> require that your calling program be some type of comm prog with the
> decryption/encryption abilities within.

Of course it would require a special communications program on both
ends -- there is no other way to do it.

Perry

Thread