1993-09-21 - Re: Bidzos on PGP and ITAR verbatim

Header Data

From: Marc Horowitz <marc@GZA.COM>
To: greg@ideath.goldenbear.com (Greg Broiles)
Message Hash: d886479deac6ff914fb621eece8d411a20fba7d71b6ea17f1bd9d74f4f227551
Message ID: <9309212157.AA10055@dun-dun-noodles.aktis.com>
Reply To: <TRo90B1w164w@ideath.goldenbear.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-21 22:00:13 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 21 Sep 93 15:00:13 PDT

Raw message

From: Marc Horowitz <marc@GZA.COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 93 15:00:13 PDT
To: greg@ideath.goldenbear.com (Greg Broiles)
Subject: Re: Bidzos on PGP and ITAR verbatim

>> If Bidzos is using the term "technical data" as it's defined in $120.21
>> of the ITAR, I think it's debatable. Can we come up with data to support
>> that IDEA and RSA are "commonly taught .. in academia"?

>                   the U.S. Munitions List. This definition does not
>                   include information concerning general scientific,
>                   mathematical, or engineering principles commonly
>                   taught in academia. It also does not include basic

Well, I learned about the RSA algorithms in 18.063 (Introduction to
Algebraic Systems), which is a required mathematics course at MIT for
an undergraduate CS degree.  It is normally taken by sophomores and
juniors.  MIT isn't exactly a "common" school, but it's certainly
academia.  Unfortunately, there is no textbook for this course.

Public Key Cryptosystems are also discussed in the textbook
(Introduction to Algorithms, Corman/Leiserson/Rivest, MIT Press) for
6.046 (Introduction to Algorithms), but are not discussed extensively
in the class.

As I know foreign nationals who have graduated, they must have taken
these courses.

		Marc

Thread