1993-09-30 - spookey PGP problem… HELP!

Header Data

From: nate@VIS.ColoState.EDU
Message Hash: e075cf608af98b44c4346750a944b0e5e3e9994eca61b79a530dfe4d500cdc74
Message ID: <9309300518.AA04623@monet.VIS.ColoState.EDU>
Raw Date: Wed, 29 Sep 93 22:21:50 PDT

Raw message

From: nate@VIS.ColoState.EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 93 22:21:50 PDT
Subject: spookey PGP problem... HELP!

OK, I'm running PGP 2.3a on an SGI Indigo R4000 (not that the machine
really matters, but it might help).  My keys were generated with
PGP 2.2 (on teh Mac), and I have since (obviously) upgraded to 2.3
then to 2.3a.

I just recently started to encrypt a lot of things with my own public
key, and also noticed that the files encrypted with my pubkey were not
necessarily decypherable by my secret key.  I replaced my keyrings
from backups make a while ago (they're just missing most of my public
keys), and still no luck.  I get the following error:

Pretty Good Privacy 2.3a - Public-key encryption for the masses.
(c) 1990-1993 Philip Zimmermann, Phil's Pretty Good Software. 1 Jul 93
Date: 1993/09/30 05:14 GMT

File is encrypted.  Secret key is required to read it.
Key for user ID: Nathaniel David Sammons <nate@VIS.ColoState.Edu>
1022-bit key, Key ID AE9C65, created 1993/05/24

You need a pass phrase to unlock your RSA secret key.
Enter pass phrase: Pass phrase is good.  Just a moment...
Error: RSA-decrypted block is corrupted.
This may be caused either by corrupted data or by using the wrong RSA key.

For a usage summary, type:  pgp -h
For more detailed help, consult the PGP User's Guide.

What the hell?  Sometimes it will decrypt the file (and sometimes not).
I am very reluctant to issue a key-revocation certificate, since I would
like to avoid this as much as possible, but it's not looking good.

This is really worrying me.  The data I encrypted is not that important,
but it's still a MAJOR problem I am having.

thanks,

-nate

| Nate Sammons   email: nate@VIS.ColoState.Edu
|      Colorado State University Computer Visualization Laboratory
|      Finger nate@monet.VIS.ColoState.Edu for my PGP key
|      #include <std.disclaimer>
|                                    Always remember "Brazil"

Thread