1993-09-15 - Random numbers

Header Data

From: Timothy Newsham <newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ea86e028fd5a698af5f1c9a81f14d78bc468a0abc7732d76acb06fbcb9ab6a50
Message ID: <9309152245.AA03105@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 15 Sep 93 15:45:31 PDT

Raw message

From: Timothy Newsham <newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 93 15:45:31 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Random numbers

Anon Wrote
> mjr@TIS.COM writes:
> >So figure you want more than 56 bits of pure unpredictability as your
> >seed. This is a tricky problem. One option is to give the user a typematic
> >buffer: "hit keys for 30 seconds" - you NEED unpredictability!
>
> So, it sounds like what we *really* need is a little box with a shot-noise
> generator that attaches to a serial port and generates truly random
> numbers to use for the key. Anyone out there feel like designing one for us ?

Last time I was fingering through an analog parts catalog under the
telephony section I noticed a bunch of parts that generate audio-noise.
Maybe some of these would be suitable (if they dont use an internal
digital state machine to generate the noise).

Thread