1993-09-19 - Re: more deranged lunatic ravings – just delete ‘em!

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f66dc33b550e4f56c3bf93e07b125937c5f8ce94448c0a99aa824caa85c97602
Message ID: <9309192122.AA09137@snark.lehman.com>
Reply To: <m0oeUqA-00021tC@khijol>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-19 21:25:54 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 19 Sep 93 14:25:54 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 93 14:25:54 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: more deranged lunatic ravings -- just delete 'em!

Ed Carp says:
> > True. But the question is, specifically what are you suggesting "all of us"
> > do right now? When I say specifically, I mean for instance not just
> > "find out information about XYZ" like you said before, I mean the
> > "and then what?" part as well. Most of us will probably do our best to
> > learn whatever we can rather than ignoring the situation. But *then* what?
> > What's your suggestion?
> >
> Gee, I don't *know* - but I'm not the high-powered brains behind
> this outfit - that's Tim's job.  ;)  And he has made good suggestions, too!
>
> I just don't agree with Perry's apparant advice that we all just sit
> around on our collective asses with our heads in the sand, waiting
> for Big Brother to come and roll over us.

Thats not my advice. I just recommend that we leave the lawyering to
the lawyers or those who, like John Gilmore or Dan Bernstein, have
learned enough that they might be able to tell valuable things to
them. The rest of us have many things we can do, which Tim has already
said, but among them are...

1) Code! Code! Code! The more stuff is out there, the less they will
   be able to do.
2) Spread cryptographic software.
3) Catalog publically available cryptographic software overseas on the
   net. The lawyers might need this.
4) Catalog publically available cryptographic software and textbook
   descriptions in the U.S. -- the lawyers might need this.
5) Write articles describing the overall picture and get them
   published.
6) Keep informed.

etc.

Perry