1993-10-03 - troglodyte MIND RAPIST flames, take II

Header Data

From: an12070@anon.penet.fi (S. Boxx)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0cba9bdcd3bb3cbe4ee7174061685ddfc8e11d32b6c365be2f84a7a9c3fd0058
Message ID: <9310030132.AA28944@anon.penet.fi>
Raw Date: Sat, 2 Oct 93 18:34:26 PDT

Raw message

From: an12070@anon.penet.fi (S. Boxx)
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 93 18:34:26 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: troglodyte MIND RAPIST flames, take II

anon.penet.fi cut my message. now I know how Infocalypse feels.

send this EVERYWHERE in cyberspace it might make a difference.

===

Subject: STOP THE TROGLODYTE FIDONET MIND-RAPISTS *NOW*!

does routine FIDOnet email INVASION by operators VIOLATE the U.S.
Electronic Communications Privacy Act? EFF's lawyer M. Godwin speaks
with FIDOnet operator Al Billings <mimir@u.washington.edu> on the
cypherpunks mailing list. Resident list crank Perry Metzger offers
his own whitehot flame.

this forward brought to you by

cypherpunks
Cyberspatial Reality Advancement Movement (CRAM)
Information Liberation Front (ILF)
Blacknet

===

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
Subject: Re: FIDOnet encryption (or lack thereof)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1993 16:40:09 -0400 (EDT)

Al Billings writes:

> On Thu, 30 Sep 1993, Mike Godwin wrote:
> >
> > My question is this: how does he know that the mail is encrypted if he's
> > not examining the mail that passes through his system? If he *is*
> > examining the mail that passes through his system, it seems likely that he
> > is violating the Electronic Communications Privacy Act.
>
>  Only if he has stated that he allows private mail. Most sysops have
> specifically worded policy statements for their systems that say that the
> sysop can read any and all messages on the system and may do so at any
> time.

That's all very nice, but it doesn't enable a FIDO sysop to intercept
messages from people who are not users of his or her particular system.
Those people did not waive their rights to privacy under the ECPA.

> Bulletin boards do not normally offer truely private mail because of
> some of the legal implications.

This is a common myth. First of all, there are many BBSs that do
offer truly private mail, or whose sysops, as a matter of policy, do not
read others' private mail. Secondly, there's no legal liability associated
with allowing e-mail privacy. Third, federal law (the ECPA) bars
sysops from examining mail except under some very precisely defined
circumstances.

I suggest that you inform sysops who tell you otherwise that they can
contact me at the Legal Services Department of EFF. You've got my e-mail
address already--my phone number is 202-347-5400.

-Mike

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
Subject: Re: FIDOnet encrypted mail issues
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1993 17:16:48 -0400 (EDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com

anonymous@extropia.wimsey.com writes:
 > Now, the point most internet people forget is that FIDOnet hosts are
 > hobbyists with 100% privately-owned machines and generally pay for the
 > entire participation of their userbase out of their own pockets,
 > excepting a few who get some dollars here and there from their generous
 > callers.

I have never forgotten this. But their commitment and efforts do not
amount to an amendment to federal law.

 > As a completely justified consequence, they can decide if they
 > allow encrypted traffic _on their individual BBSs_.

Under what legal theory do they get an ECPA exemption as a "completely
justified consequence"?

 > In that there is
 > considerable fear of the consequences of illegal activity being
 > conducted on their BBSs via encrypted mail, many sysops (such as the one
 > you mention, leaving aside, for now, that he apparently confused a PGP
 > key with an encrypted message) do not wish to take the risk and forbid
 > encrypted traffic.

What they don't realize is that, rather than reducing the risk of legal
liability, they are increasing it.

 > They also monitor e-mail, if only incidentally
 > during the course of routine system maintenance, and notices to this
 > effect are generally contained in log-on screens and new-user info
 > files.

Any monitoring that results *directly* as a function of system maintenance
is okay--it's sanctioned by ECPA.

 > In that these sysops are extremely, _personally_ vulnerable, they are
 > generally more cautious than those internet folks who can hide behind
 > institutions and businesses.

If they were really cautious, they'd talk to a lawyer before setting
policy based on some guess as to what their legal liabilities may be.

To find out more about the anon service, send mail to help@anon.penet.fi.
Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to admin@anon.penet.fi.

Thread