1993-10-01 - Single Value Pseudonyms

Header Data

From: Hastings@courier8.aero.org
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 299ec528f0f55e0c47aad4cd77382daa7c842492ca4340a3a5f0aedc1fe77de9
Message ID: <00083D17.MAI*Hastings@courier8.aero.org>
Raw Date: Fri, 1 Oct 93 13:08:10 PDT

Raw message

From: Hastings@courier8.aero.org
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 93 13:08:10 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Single Value Pseudonyms

Someone posted a way to resist altered bank notes if the consumer's random
blinding factor signed by the bank wasn't really so random, by something
called (if I remember right) a "cut-and-choose" protocol.

To make things very simple for a bank, I suggest having fixed value digital
pseudonyms for each value of bank note. For example, the Bank of Hastings on
Kent would use "AU 500 mg from HoK Bank" as the user name for all signed 500
milligram gold certificates.

When a merchant or ultimately the bank verifies the note, it will see
"AU 500 mg" as the message, or will not accept it. No worry about spoofing.

Kent - <jkhastings@aol.com>

Thread