1993-10-27 - Re: anti-social behavior

Header Data

From: rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu
To: bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
Message Hash: 29dbea4b7e2b1b5070d787b429c3fc1262764a0fb7fa0873d06a0342b677fcb1
Message ID: <9310270359.AA08275@kropotkin.gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Reply To: <CFICE5.530@twwells.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-27 04:02:48 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 21:02:48 PDT

Raw message

From: rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 21:02:48 PDT
To: bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
Subject: Re: anti-social behavior

T. William Wells writes:

> Over on ASAR, we give warning for anger. Consider yourself warned.
   Vapor. Or else?

> In article <9310260646.AA04776@kropotkin.gnu.ai.mit.edu>,
>  <rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu> wrote:
> :   I'm coming to kill your family tommorow with a rusty razor.
>
> I despise Detweiler. I also think he ought to be in a mental
> hospital. However, this is evil, anti-social behavior. It is
> abusive beyond any possibility of shrugging it off.

   In context it was obviously a joke, lighten up. I think LD/Sboxx
deserve what they get for coming onto a forum about cryptography
and accusing people of high treason, evil, poison, etc in an almost
religious fervor.

> No, I'll make it stronger. Either you apologize to me, to
> Detweiler, and to the list, or the list owner removes you from
> the list, or I go. I will not be associated with a group that
> tolerates this sort of behavior.

   I guess I will have to be kicked off the list then, or you will have
to unsubscribe because I have no intention of apologizing to you or Detweiler.
I don't apologize for the "evil, anti-social" joke I made either, but I
do apologize for wasting bandwidth on the list if that's any consolation.
I'm getting to the point where I can't keep put with the amount of mail
in my box anyway. The ball's in your court.

> (Does anyone want to know why I'm so incensed. Check out ASAR for
> awhile. Understand that this person's behavior, and excuse
> making, is indistinguishable from the abuse that makes that
> newsgroup necessary.)

  That's the funniest thing I've heard all week. Comparing a joke, "I'm gonna
kill your family with a rusty razor", made over the net, with rape? Even
it they were equivalent, I'm not about to walk on eggshells because some
people on the internet can't differentiate between a virtual joke and a
real life threat. Perhaps that's the biggest problem in the world today, just
last week a bunch of jocks repeated a scene from _The Program_ and laid
down in the middle of the high way.

  If you want to prevent net.abuse, I suggest you take a look at alt.flame
or alt.tasteless and issue a couple thousand of your "warnings."

-- Ray Cromwell        |    Engineering is the implementation of science;    --
-- EE/Math Student     |       politics is the implementation of faith.      --
-- rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu  |                         - Zetetic Commentaries      --

Thread