1993-10-26 - Another Tussle with a Tentacle

Header Data

From: “L. Detweiler” <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 386e5b78e9d2a949ac32c539b8622a05dbeae9d847bba885d138f29e816c9cf6
Message ID: <9310260423.AA11740@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 25 Oct 93 21:24:03 PDT

Raw message

From: "L. Detweiler" <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 93 21:24:03 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Another Tussle with a Tentacle

"Robert J. Woodhead" <trebor@foretune.co.jp>

>I agree with him that this is an area of great potential concern.  While
>I am not opposed to the principle of maintaining multiple identities on
>the net, the rule of netiquette should be that "multiple identities should
>_NEVER_ intersect."

what, pray tell, do you define as *intersection*? the very existence of
the two pseudonyms on the same Cyberspace can be considered an `intersection'.

>So I support "L. Detweiler"s right to be "Jim," but they ought never to
>support each other.  His scenario is chillingly _possible_.

the scenario is chillingly *true*. And I do not support it. I condemn it.

>At the same time, I think such episodes will be rare.  The amount of
>effort needed to maintain multiple intersecting identities is quite high,
>and in most cases would be "uneconomic."  However, in some cases, for
>some people, the effort might be worth it, so some thought ought to
>be placed into ways to detect or discourage it.

again, more Medusa-cypherpunk brainwashing. `don't worry about this.
it's not a big deal. no one would be evil enough to do this. heaven
forbid, don't do anything rash like invent robust identity mechanisms
that would *prevent* me from continuing to exploit this weakness in the
system and inherent trust of others.'

>Which brings up the question: how can we, in the era of digital pseudonyms
>determine that two pseudos are, or are not, the same person?  One possible
>method would be careful automated analysis of the language used by
>the participants in a net discussion.

hah, hah! society has already evolved many other mechanisms that have
worked for centuries, and `you' promote obscure black magic. the
problem is, all that stuff is just to damn mundane and oppressive. it's
equivalent to Retinal Scans and a Camera on Every Corner.

cypherpunks, you have no idea how much you are being brainwashed. a
true Thought Crime if there ever was one. wipe wipe, slosh slosh, scrub
scrub. look! sparkling white! now, to pour in the blackness...

Thread