1993-10-20 - Explosives tracers

Header Data

From: holland@CS.ColoState.EDU (douglas craig holland)
To: eb@srlr14.sr.hp.com (Eric Blossom)
Message Hash: 3e2712920c3589505a51bd971b3bb57d3299f49186a2a69bd222e22fc4ee0e10
Message ID: <9310201519.AA12207@beethoven>
Reply To: <9310192154.AA22886@srlr14.sr.hp.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-20 15:22:32 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Oct 93 08:22:32 PDT

Raw message

From: holland@CS.ColoState.EDU (douglas craig holland)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 93 08:22:32 PDT
To: eb@srlr14.sr.hp.com (Eric Blossom)
Subject: Explosives tracers

> > Steganographic signatures.  Similarly, signatures are being put into
> > explosives  (although they are somewhat traceable already) by using
> > various mixtures of trace elements.
>
> I believe that they also use small (microscopic) color coded chips of
> plastic.  There is an OTA report on this topic with a name something
> like "Taggants in Explosives".  I believe that the report is about 10
> years old.

I remember hearing about how one congress member removed the taggants
from a sample of gunpowder using tweezers during a terrorism hearing.
Taggants can't really be relied upon.

Doug

Thread