1993-10-26 - : a desperate please

Header Data

From: Arthur Chandler <arthurc@crl.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4090f977eb1983a40ba46b118ca87f6f3c84d602d58544a4605db3647dd517ac
Message ID: <Pine.3.87.9310261117.A18829-0100000@crl.crl.com>
Reply To: <9310261357.AA07695@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-26 22:12:45 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 15:12:45 PDT

Raw message

From: Arthur Chandler <arthurc@crl.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 15:12:45 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: : a desperate please

  Can't we be a little nicer, and talk about the ISSUES instead of the
posters?
  Let's agree that spoofing/anonymity is no good if (1) you post as
William Gibson and you're NOT William Gibson, or (2) you post as LD, TM,
AC, EH, or anyone else on this list if you are not that person. (1) and
(2) aren't instances of spoofing: they're instances of impersonation and
fraud.
   Anyone got a problem with all that?
   OK, on to the next issue:
   Why would you want to build up a pseudonymous reputation?
   I ask this question not in a contentious manner, but out of a real
desire to turn the discussion into a thread where encryption, privacy,
alternate identities, etc. can be talked about in a lively, but not
angry fashion.
   (Hmmm, that sounded kinda pompous; but bear with me!)
   Isn't it tough enough to build up a rep under our real names? What is
the point to using a pseudonym? I can think of some bad reasons; but I
can't come up with any good ones, except for "fun" and "just to see what
it feels like to put out opinions not my own."  I'm sure I'm missing the
point; so, before you jump on me as a Clueless Newbie, can you run by
the reasons why you want to have alternate personas on the NET?
   A story to lighten up the atmosphere:
   On MediaMOO, I have a virtual puppet. I've coded the puppet -- named
Apprentice Dragon -- to follow me around; and I can speak or emote through
him too. Regulars on MediaMOO know he's my puppet; newbies are amazed at
first, but soon learn to identify the puppet with its owner. Now, a
couple of weeks ago I was in the middle of a heavy Real Time discussion
at MediaMOO. I offered an opinion; then, just for the heck of it, I had
the Apprentice Dragon contradict me. And danged if everyone didn't agree
with the dragon!
   Maybe this is a lesson I should apply to pseudonymous identities.
   Or maybe not.
   So why try for a pseudonymous rep? All replies cheerfully considered.

Thread