1993-10-20 - Re: Backing

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: baumbach@atmel.com
Message Hash: 49d537ac3067f8fd84240bb8929a870249280cb42906e4bb45a0fa055932f0f5
Message ID: <9310202317.AA16647@snark.lehman.com>
Reply To: <9310202203.AA23988@bass.chp.atmel.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-20 23:22:38 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Oct 93 16:22:38 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 93 16:22:38 PDT
To: baumbach@atmel.com
Subject: Re: Backing

Not a cryptography message -- sorry but I thought I had to discuss it...

Peter Baumbach says:
>  Isn't a finite source of backing a problem since it rewards those who
> hoard it?

No. It punishes those who hoard it -- they don't get interest on their
money.

>  If neither Alice or Bob have a backed currency, does that mean they
> cannot trade?

Depends if they consider what the other has to be of value. Its all up
to them.

>  Has anyone invented a workable "barter currency"?

I don't see what the point would be. Why not just deal in a medium of
exchange?

> Can I.O.U.'s be created such that they work like money?

Sure. Thats what banknotes are.

Perry

Thread