1993-10-04 - multiple-file encryption

Header Data

From: cme@ellisun.sw.stratus.com (Carl Ellison)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4b9b64a5699839832caa5a57a0182bf7301d2b41d882729739458c3f084fbd91
Message ID: <9310042122.AA15704@ellisun.sw.stratus.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Oct 93 14:24:51 PDT

Raw message

From: cme@ellisun.sw.stratus.com (Carl Ellison)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 93 14:24:51 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: multiple-file encryption

>Date: Mon, 04 Oct 93 14:29:44 MDT
>From: "Mike Johnson" <exabyte!smtplink!mikej@uunet.UU.NET>
>Subject: Re[2]: POISON PILL

>Yes.  Make "noise addition" (really multiplexing) part of the cipher.  You
>could throw away every other bit based on the parity of the key.  The
>ciphertext would be twice as big, but if you compressed both plain text
>streams first, this effect might not be very obvious.  Of course, if your
>encryption program were disassembled, you might be found out...

Yup -- I was assuming no padding.

If you allow padding, I already have a secret-key cipher which uses random
padding in order to frustrate known-plaintext attacks.  My favorite method
uses a key to initialize a PRNG whose output gives the number of bytes of
each stream to put in the output stream -- then encipher the PRNG key
followed by the multiplexed stream.  One of the streams being multiplexed
(and there can be a huge number, if you're encrypting an archive, for
example) can and should be random -- so that if you make a small change
and re-encrypt, you don't end up with cribs.

For this purpose, you'd need to have several files hanging around your
machine of random numbers yet to be used for padding.

Meanwhile, I have several files of random numbers which I keep around for
running simulations.

My favorite random number generator is

	compress - </dev/audio | idea | tran | idea | tran | idea

where the idea keys are chosen randomly and there's no mic plugged in
at /dev/audio.

Other people might generate random numbers other ways. :-)
[but you might keep my method around, for demonstrating to the cops.]

 - Carl

Thread