1993-10-20 - Photocopying money

Header Data

From: “I still don’t know your name, stranger. 20-Oct-1993 1925” <yerazunis@aidev.enet.dec.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5960721d4edb43fc3bb665987321adc411c7f3afacb6a413271d8fa8650cd484
Message ID: <9310202325.AA05280@enet-gw.pa.dec.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Oct 93 16:27:50 PDT

Raw message

From: "I still don't know your name, stranger.  20-Oct-1993 1925" <yerazunis@aidev.enet.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 93 16:27:50 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Photocopying money

>It's true.  Canon did indeed create such a chip.  It's the same chip
>that's used in vending machines to scan dollar bills.  They built a
>prototype copier which prevented copying money, but I don't know if they
>actually decided to install the chip in all their assembly-line
>production copiers or not tho.

Nope.

There is no "chip" that scans dollar bills.  Dollar bill scanning is based
on the magnetic ink in a few simple stripes, the presence (actually,
absence) of UV fluorescent inks, and not on optical recognition per se,
and besides, we all know how "reliable" such machines are.  NOT!

Besides, even if a pattern-match chip existed that could do it fast enough,
simply turning the bill a few degrees (say, 45 degrees, across the glass)
would render the problem intractable...

And how about adding a background of stripes... something to really confuse
the chip....

Sorry, no.

	-Bill

Thread