1993-10-21 - Canon copiers

Header Data

From: XXCLARK@indst.indstate.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 614347aa205e988234cc4fd9a60a226060a27e70a7168398556230f9d9b496a4
Message ID: <9310212239.AA04736@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Oct 93 15:43:04 PDT

Raw message

From: XXCLARK@indst.indstate.edu
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 93 15:43:04 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Canon copiers

        Called a Canon copier dealer today. Here's what he said regarding
   the copying of currency [only after my convincing him I was not inter-
   ested in a career in funny money]:

        All Canon color copiers have _always_ marked their output with
   the serial number of the machine on which they were produced. [I failed
   to ask about non-color copiers.] He mentioned, specifically, currency,
   photographs and food stamps as examples of copied items from which the
   serial number could be recovered by Canon.

        Canon color laser copiers CL-300 and CL-500, not currently being
   produced, but still available, do _not_ have the anti-currency device
   included. They _do_, he said, place the machine serial number in copies
   made.

        Canon color laser copiers CL-350 and CL-550 _do_ have the anti-
   currency device included, which he said is a black box to local repair-
   men. He continued to say that not only would these models, when given
   currency to copy, produce only a black rectangle, but also:

        - store a copy of what one had attempted to copy in memory, and;
        - lock the machine in such a manner that only someone from the
          Canon factory "might" be able to render the machine useable.

        These machines also place the machine serial number in copies
   it allows to be made, he said.

        Only on the last item did his answer seem uncertain. His first
   response was that "the machine would be virtually destroyed."

        Anyone want to test this for us?

        He _did_ suggest which Canon copier would do a good job copying
   currency.

        I still haven't found the trade mag in which I originally read
   this...

Thread