1993-10-15 - RE: Passwords (fwd)

Header Data

From: Arthur Chandler <arthurc@crl.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 71d2f1d388aa9271ccd12a0434491abc6709db513a531cde0b5c259f681250f5
Message ID: <Pine.3.05.9310142114.A1012-d100000@crl.crl.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Oct 93 21:17:05 PDT

Raw message

From: Arthur Chandler <arthurc@crl.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 93 21:17:05 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Passwords (fwd)

  There's a thread on MOO-Cows -- a list primarily for folks interested in
the technical side of maintaining MOO databases (new releases of the core,
bugs in current core, questions about MOO-coding, etc.) -- that has to do
with passwords and encryption. It's been the fond hope of many people in
the MOO world that someone will come up with a kind of gateway that will
let players move from one MOO to another. There are lots of problems --
different ID numbers for the (essentially) same objects in each MOO,
different criteria for membership in different MOOs, etc. But one really
fundamental issue is: how can you use the same password to move from MOO
to MOO?
  I'm forwarding the essentials of the thread, plus one ambitious proposal
for solving the dilemma. Anyone here got any thoughts on the problem
and/or its solution(s)?