1993-10-15 - Casio kid diary- Executive Toy?

Header Data

From: “Philippe_D_Nave” <pdn@dwroll.dw.att.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 83c2d9db64bee4824e22c2ac4a8bd262accdcb53e3547fc6762369098a81d3db
Message ID: <9310151725.AA02877@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Oct 93 10:27:09 PDT

Raw message

From: "Philippe_D_Nave" <pdn@dwroll.dw.att.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 93 10:27:09 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Casio kid diary- Executive Toy?

Hello, all!

The post about the Casio kids' diary with password protection started me
thinking... has anyone tried to incorporate encryption into one of those
executive-toy memo-minders (Sharp 'Wizard', for example) or a PDA (EO,
Apple Newton, etc) for the business-suit crowd? That group is at least as
susceptible to market pressure and the 'I-want-the-newest-toy-NOW!'
mindset as the kids. It would indeed be ironic to hear two suits
exchanging PGP public keys as part of their corporate business-card-swap
ritual.

Obviously, you can run PGP off a laptop's disk drive in the conventional
manner. What I've got in mind is more like the PCMCIA (or EIEIO, whatever
that acronym is) cards that let you add functionality to your processor
by plugging hardware modules in. It seems to me that a PGP port to this
platform, with an E-Mail interface and some sort of user interface
(apologies to Zimmermann) might very well sell like hotcakes and go a
long way toward the goal of educating the public about encryption.
Executives with room-temperature IQs can't be bothered to load software,
but plugging in a cartridge and following the bouncing ball would be easy.
Maintaining physical security of the card is easier than wagging the
whole box around, too- PC repairs could be done without compromising PGP,
etc. Issues abound; any interest?

Philippe D. Nave, Jr.   | The person who does not use message encryption
pdn@dwroll.dw.att.com   | will soon be at the mercy of those who DO...
Denver, Colorado USA    | PGP public key: by arrangement.

Thread