1993-10-27 - Re: Net Requlation

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Message Hash: 87d2e530c50bc0ba46618dd6897c8c70391d0d1a0976de7267d5eac80faa160a
Message ID: <199310272030.AA17905@panix.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 27 Oct 93 13:32:57 PDT

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 93 13:32:57 PDT
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Subject: Re: Net Requlation

K >1. If you don't have US citizenship, how do you get a passport? (Buy
K >it on sale from the Czech republic or what?)

Actually, the Dominican Republic is better.  You don't really need to
change citizenship unless you are from a country that restricts foreign
travel by citizens.  Picking up a *second* passport is always a good idea,
however, and the US has recently changed its regs to permit its nationals
to seek naturalisation in other countries without renouncing US
citizenship.

K >2.  Where do you live?  I mean I love to travel but after 3 or 4
K >weeks of it I'm ready to settle down and hibernate for a long while.
K >[Especially now with a wife and 2 sons, I'd last about 2 days traveling
K > :-)] Somewhere

As someone pointed out, you need not travel much just be in a country
where you are not a citizen.

K >3.  Are the TELECOM connections there yet?

Slowly but surely.  Switzerland is good these days.  Expense is the main
problem.  If the Anglo-Saxon conspiracy wins the battle of network
non-design (as it seems sure to do) everyone in the OECD will soon have
cheap telcoms.

K >4.  Customer interaction.  This is a problem, if you work on computer
K >systems that are unique or program custom software for these systems,
K >customer interaction is very important

If you have the customer in the first place, you can make visits without
too much problem.  Marketing is more difficult.  Slow-scan video for
everyone over the nets is close.

Things to keep in mind...

I don't expect that very many people will use cryptography, anonymous
remailers, DC nets, etc to become PTs or virtual expatriates but these
tools will have a marginal (meaning "edge" not "small") effect on the
process of institutional transformation.  The nets themselves are the
critical device for weakening national controls.  They will sweep aside
labor regulations, financial regulations and a host of restraints that
keep people poorer than they need be.

Oops!  Sorry about that.  Too much time spent on alt.politics.economics...

Duncan Frissell

--- WinQwk 2.0b#1165

Thread