1993-10-19 - Re: jrk@sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway)

Header Data

From: Edward J OConnell <ejo@world.std.com>
To: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Message Hash: 89f69e0fb58a16cd655854c0e4ac7da627ff85d39029e32bcc3665efe4817489
Message ID: <Pine.3.07.9310182007.A5117-b100000@world.std.com>
Reply To: <9310190032.AA03963@snark.lehman.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-19 01:07:19 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Oct 93 18:07:19 PDT

Raw message

From: Edward J OConnell <ejo@world.std.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 93 18:07:19 PDT
To: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Subject: Re: jrk@sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway)

I work at a graphic arts service bureau, and someone told me that they had
seen a canon representative, with a straight face, say at a trade show
that there was a chip in these machines that detected the pattern created
by currency, and blocked out the image.

Easy to test. Of course, not true--at least, not the canon clc 300 I run.

The control panel of the canon has a list of things you are not supposed to
copy. That is the extent of the restriction. For some obscure reason I
follow these rules. I'm not sure why.

The chip thing made me laugh. What is amazing to me is that canon would
try to create this easily disprovable myth. Has anyone else heard this
story? My friend was adamant that he had heard this spiel (and not a
friend of his) but I suppose this could itself be an urban myth.

I suppose I could call canon...but attracting that kind of attention to
myself seems really stupid...

"God does not play dice with the Universe"--A Einstein
"No, she plays SuperScratch-Card Wingo (TM)"--Me.
Information Wants to Be Free      PGP Public Key available by Finger

Thread