1993-10-24 - Re: ADMIN: proposed new policy on the mailing list

Header Data

From: rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 92bb8c215fc753325952195a3032f1bf09356de1fbfe105cb3fbf2ec4591598d
Message ID: <9310242328.AA28745@kropotkin.gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Reply To: <9310241952.AA28774@anon.penet.fi>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-24 23:28:47 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 24 Oct 93 16:28:47 PDT

Raw message

From: rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 93 16:28:47 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com

   I think the major benefit of requiring signatures on the cypherpunks list
is not the authentication it will give, but the new software which cypherpunks
will be forced to develop to make adding signatures with mail readers
automatic. After the user interface work has evolved enough to make signatures
ubiquitous, we can then switch to some kind of trusted-key system and
really authenticate list members if we want.

   I think the most important and needed software is yet to be developed:

   Offline mail readers which work from home over the serial port and
which incorporate PGP abilities. I know there are lots of POP readers,
but we need one which is in ANSI C, portable, and easily extendable to
serve as a base for incorporation of crypto. Preferably, it should
use curses, or an abstracted window model so it can be easily ported
to Mac, Windows, AmigaDOS, X-Windows with little change.

-Ray

-- Ray Cromwell        |    Engineering is the implementation of science;    --
-- EE/Math Student     |       politics is the implementation of faith.      --
-- rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu  |                         - Zetetic Commentaries      --

Thread