1993-10-08 - Re: The death of the list as we know it (tm)

Header Data

From: Matthew B. Landry <mbl@ml7694a.leonard.american.edu>
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: a84b53b9ec327125371cc9582cf9f2a6683f5ce0fbd975e17f9f2986930586f9
Message ID: <9310081954.AA01533@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Oct 93 12:55:55 PDT

Raw message

From: Matthew B. Landry <mbl@ml7694a.leonard.american.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 93 12:55:55 PDT
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: The death of the list as we know it (tm)

>We debate this issue every couple of months. Give it up. Or start your
>own newsgroup.
        I'm strongly thinking of doing that. However, I think it would be a
shame if we had to operate the newsgroup and the list in paralell, without
connections.
        And frankly, I don't think it would be entirely a disadvantage to have
wider exposure. Sure, we would get some more noise (but we're used to noise by
now), but we would also get a much larger readership. We would still be
preaching to the choir, but we would have a "choir" large enough that it would
no longer be a disadvantage.

        As a compromise solution, perhaps we could have a one-way gateway to a
general distribution newsgroup, where posts to the list would automatically go
to the newsgroup as well, but posts to the group would only go to the group
(unless the person also mailed to the list). The list.cypherpunks group at Msen
(where my account was before) was set configured like a moderated group, so all
posts got sent to the list, but there's no reason it _has_ to be that way.
        Really, I think there are ways to solve this so that everyone will get
what he needs.
--
Matthew B. Landry
ml7694a@american.edu