1993-10-30 - pgp bug/feature

Header Data

From: “Christian D. Odhner” <cdodhner@indirect.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b76e2c2e7cfd19c0a7bc481f32247445dfe48db5a23bb9f08333acf84ad68ec4
Message ID: <199310301948.AA25659@indirect.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 30 Oct 93 12:49:14 PDT

Raw message

From: "Christian D. Odhner" <cdodhner@indirect.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 93 12:49:14 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: pgp bug/feature

Found a new 'undocumented feature' of pgp just now. in a recent message
apparently from Future Nerd Steve W., the message begins with the usual
-----------Begin pgp signed message--------- Header.
Then later in the message, as sortof a joke I think, he he put:
- ---------Begin philosophy------------- and then later an end philosophy
and a begin pgp sig. So when I tried to verify the signature, pgp gave me
a 'Failure striping ascii armor' error and said 'ascii armor error in
signed file' or something like that. So I guess that use of anything that
looks like a pgp header to pgp within the message invalidates any pgp sig.

Happy Hunting, -Chris.

Christian Douglas Odhner     | "The NSA can have my secret key when they pry
cdodhner@indirect.com	     | it from my cold, dead, hands... But they shall
pgp 2.3 public key by finger | NEVER have the password it's encrypted with!"
My opinions are shareware. For a registered copy, send me 15$ in DigiCash.
  Key fingerprint =  58 62 A2 84 FD 4F 56 38  82 69 6F 08 E4 F1 79 11

Thread