1993-10-14 - cypherpunk mindWHAT?

Header Data

From: “Philippe_D_Nave” <pdn@dwroll.dw.att.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ca3084c23ea5dcc6bf857d57623ad03fa128fe62c73d251a4b9d92056902e157
Message ID: <9310142335.AA19400@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Oct 93 16:37:03 PDT

Raw message

From: "Philippe_D_Nave" <pdn@dwroll.dw.att.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 93 16:37:03 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: cypherpunk mindWHAT?

Hello, all!

I assume all of you saw the message about 'cypherpunk mindfucking' today.
It appears to have come from an anonymous mail system (unless S. Boxx is
the name of the sender- but then, that name sounds a lot like the S-box
used in the DES encryption scheme. Call me paranoid, or give me a point
for catching an inside joke.)

That said, it seems that the point of the message is that there is a lot
of smoke coming from people who use aliases or anonymous remailer
services to post to the cypherpunks list. Does this posting contribute
to that problem, or have I missed something?

>  i've been monitoring the list for some time.

>  something needs to be done about the fucking perversions. we are being
>  mindfucked by traitors.

>  thanks to everyone who has sent me mail. keep it coming. i intend to
>  get to the ugly bottom of this if i have to. there is a putrid rotten
>  stench here, i pray to GOD that others will finally smell it. i'm
>  getting closer. i'm breaking it _wide_ open. the pretenders and
>  traitors will be shot. the Cause has been stalled. the Cause will
>  conquer. the Cause will live on.

What the hell ?!? I've either missed something significant (and would
appreciate enlightenment) or this is a candidate for 'strangest post
of the year'. If 'S. Boxx' really exists and is the author of this
posting, I apologize- if not, then come out from behind your damn
remailer and quit contributing to the problem. As for monitoring the
list for traitors, go ahead- I post under my own name, and I don't
give a shit what you do with the text. If I was concerned about lurkers
building 'traitor files', I'd encrypt my messages and happily watch you
choke on them.
Philippe D. Nave, Jr.   | The person who does not use message encryption
pdn@dwroll.dw.att.com   | will soon be at the mercy of those who DO...
Denver, Colorado USA    | PGP public key: by arrangement.

Thread