1993-10-08 - Re: The death of the list as we know it (tm)

Header Data

From: Johan Helsingius <julf@penet.fi>
To: “Matthew B. Landry” <mbl@ml7694a.leonard.american.edu>
Message Hash: ddb861383b3511c40a845c21bd4221b1ca733a4f6d42daabffccb1cee1d145ee
Message ID: <199310081838.AA07011@mail.eunet.fi>
Reply To: <9310081807.AA00251@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-08 18:45:45 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Oct 93 11:45:45 PDT

Raw message

From: Johan Helsingius <julf@penet.fi>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 93 11:45:45 PDT
To: "Matthew B. Landry" <mbl@ml7694a.leonard.american.edu>
Subject: Re: The death of the list as we know it (tm)

>         To the people who say that Usenet has a worse s/n ratio than mail, I
> have two points. First, not all of Usenet has a bad s/n ratio (and this
> particular list _does_ have a _very_ bad s/n ratio). Second, the traditionally
> lower s/n ratio on Usenet has led to the development of better tools to deal
> with it than are available in mail. (I'd dearly love to see an ignore feature
> on this list, as I understand that the Extropians have, but I realize that's
> unrealistic. Even that wouldn't be as effective as a well-designed killfile.)

My mh gives me all the same capabilities as any newsreader. If you want to use
a newsreader, do the gatewaying at your own site. If cyperpunks becomes a
newsgroup, count on me dropping off.

	Julf

Thread