1993-10-21 - re:700 Club etc.

Header Data

From: Alexander Reynolds <chrome@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
To: F_GRIFFITH@CCSVAX.SFASU.EDU
Message Hash: f9f12a4b2f6e010bc02117ece3744de1ddad5db133cc6817ed9298bd39c241ce
Message ID: <Pine.3.05.9310211837.A9616-b100000@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
Reply To: <931021162143.22e266bc@CCSVAX.SFASU.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-21 22:42:53 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Oct 93 15:42:53 PDT

Raw message

From: Alexander Reynolds <chrome@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 93 15:42:53 PDT
To: F_GRIFFITH@CCSVAX.SFASU.EDU
Subject: re:700 Club etc.

> This is another thread only slightly related to cypherpunks.

Well go to some other forum, we don't need your kind around here.  <just
kidding, I'm only being sarcastic to make a point to some other readers>

> I find the paranoid reaction to the "Religious Right" strange.  Perhaps
> it is based on relying on the establishment media for a picture of it.

Someone against the "religious right" would probably say they (those in that
group) are brainwashed.  Those in the "religious right" would say they
(anti-religion) are possessed.  (other readers: please don't try to debate
this, ok?  I lived in a very religious town in Texas, so I know how they
feel.)

> Would you rely on such media to give you an accurate picture of what
> the government is doing with cryptography or of the need for gun control?
> The media picture of the Religious Right is just as distorted.

The axiom of Mass Media follows: "Print, Show, Or Speak What Will Bring In
The Money."  Most folks get kicks out of watching cults like the RR
getting the bum rush, like most folks enjoy watching the accident scene.
The Media plays no ideological favorites, it just gives the hungry masses
what they want.

> The right to encryption and the "right" to abortion don't have the same
> basis - encryption kills no one.

I disagree here (a lot is done in the name of national security/encryption
which threatens innocent lives), but even I won't diverge this far from the
intent of the cypherpunks forum to debate this.  If you do want to carry
this further, please drop me a line directly.

-Alex Reynolds (chrome@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu)

Thread