1993-11-09 - Are we gatewayed to Usenet?

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 091cf6f596097f9cd688f1e3f571208bc18b940b356e46593ad9ebade2e433a2
Message ID: <199311092038.MAA06532@mail.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 12:38:39 PST

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 12:38:39 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Are we gatewayed to Usenet?

Last night when I entered the newsgroups of my system (Netcom) I was
given the choice of subscribing to a new newsgroup,
"cypherpunks.list". I did with alacrity, to discover what was going
on.

Here's a sample of what's appeared so far (a screen in "tin"):

21    1  PC random number hardware                      Jon Boede
22       Need Info                                      Christopher M. Wis
23       Wired 1.6 is not yet publically available      Timothy C.Ma y
24       Caller ID                                      Wabasha-Kellogg Hi
25       Tropez phones                                  Wabasha-Kellogg Hi
26    1  TEMPEST, Van Eyck Radiation, and Eavesdroppin  Timothy C. May
27       (fwd) Clipper and Tipper on Route 666          Timothy C. May
28       [alt.security.pgp] pgp.iastate.edu service di  warlord@MIT.EDU
29       Mark Abene (Phiber Optik) sentenced            Doug Merritt
30       TEMPEST Defenses and average Van Eck Gear...   nobody@shell.porta
31       Nymalizer, politics on the list                Greg Broiles
32       Test of this list...                           Timothy C. May

I believe someone has gatewayed the list onto Netcom, which is
available to many thousands of subscribers, including local POPs
(points of presence) in Washington, D.C., Boston, Atlanta, Austin, and
of course all up and down the West Coast.

Is this such a good idea? And should it be unilaterally done? If there
was discussion of this, I must've missed it somehow (which I doubt).

It does look like it may've been a one-shot affair, as the recent
messages to the List proper have not appeared in the newsgroup. Also,
I posted a test message to the group, which appears above as item #32,
but which appeared only in the newsgroup and not on the List proper
(two hours have passed, so it may eventually appear).

Certainly our List is not a deep, dark secret, and certainly we know
the list is gatewayed into some local networks, but I really worry
about everything we say hear being readable by anyone with a newsfeed.

It also opens us up to more disruptive flaming and puerile
argumentation.

--Tim May

tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.
Note: I put time and money into writing this posting. I hope you enjoy it.

Thread