1993-11-20 - Re: All our eggs in one basket?

Header Data

From: jim@bilbo.suite.com (Jim Miller)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 27a3141516bcf0d996b9cd1ec47d56e47cb4f96817780900a0dfc292ecc28458
Message ID: <9311200054.AA13432@bilbo.suite.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 19 Nov 93 16:56:59 PST

Raw message

From: jim@bilbo.suite.com (Jim Miller)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 93 16:56:59 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: All our eggs in one basket?

Eric Hughes writes

> > Jim Miller writes
> >
> >If I failed to reply with a signed receipt, the bank could invalidate the

> >digital coin.

> Unfortunately for this idea, when the bank uses a blind signature to
> issue coins, it doesn't know what coin it just issued actually looks
> like.  The bank signs a blinded form of the coin.  The blinded form is
> unblinded by the withdrawer, and the bank cannot know what it looks
> like.

I just got "Applied Cryptography" so now I know what you mean by "blinded form
of the coin".

I was thinking that the bank actually constructed the coin, but in fact the
bank merely signs one of my blinded money orders.  This signed blinded money
order becomes the "coin" (at least in this scheme).

That being the case, I still not sure how I am protected from a bank that
cheats by bring the protocol up to the point where I unblind 99 of the money
orders and the bank deducts the amount from my account but never sends me the
money.

I have some more reading to do, it seems.

Perhaps I can simply trust the bank not to do this because it wants my future
business.  Still, if it were possible, I'd prefer not to have to trust the
bank.  After all, the bank doesn't have to trust me.

Jim_Miller@suite.com

Thread