1993-11-12 - “Root Canal” questions

Header Data

From: David Sobel <dsobel@washofc.cpsr.org>
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 2dc4fd14e3559cffaf843332e80b95d9bf8725b5da4f07ef0372d88be766119a
Message ID: <00541.2835966052.614@washofc.cpsr.org>
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 13:43:44 PST

Raw message

From: David Sobel <dsobel@washofc.cpsr.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 13:43:44 PST
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: "Root Canal" questions

  "Root Canal" questions

>In the latest CPSR update:
>>      "Each FBI Special Agent in Charge's contacting key law
>>      enforcement and prosecutorial officials in his/her territory
>>      to stress the urgency of Congress's being sensitized to this
>>      critical issue;
>
>Isn't this a violation of the Hatch Act?  Either on the part
>of the agents, or on the part of the "key" officials directly
>"sensitizing" Congress, or both.

The Hatch Act applies only to "partisan" activity (i.e., electoral).
There is, however, a very real question as to whether or not the
activity we've uncovered might violate 18 U.S.C. Sec. 1913, which
prohibits the use of "appropriated funds" for lobbying purposes.
I'm in the process of looking into that.  There's no way to read this
material without concluding that the Bureau was undertaking an
orchestrated, agency-wide lobbying campaign in support of the
"Root Canal" initiative.

BTW, anyone have ideas about that name!?

David Sobel
CPSR Legal Counsel

Thread