1993-11-21 - Does someone know about irc “/on”?

Header Data

From: Sameer <sameer@uclink.berkeley.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 34d7306216e854170a2545fbfecab1dc27f4f0ea430b5c2fc60a09e4fb549a41
Message ID: <m0p1Mhd-000J6pC@infinity.hip.berkeley.edu>
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Nov 93 13:57:25 PST

Raw message

From: Sameer <sameer@uclink.berkeley.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 93 13:57:25 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Does someone know about irc "/on"?

	Like I posted earlier, I'm working a bit to do diffie-hellman
key exchange for the IRC. I was hoping to incorporate it into the
source, and implement it via /dcc, but that's too tough. I've figured
out a scheme which will work, but I don't know how to implement it in
irc.. I'm wondering if anyone here knows how to do what I want--

	(I still don't have my RNG working correctly, but I could
probably grab one from someplace.. or leech off the ~/pgp/randseed.bin
file.)

	Here's my scheme:

	Suppose I want to initiate an encrypted conversation with Alice.

In irc, I do /startdh Alice

What startdh does is call
	"ircdh Alice"

	"ircdh Alice" computes XB, saves it to a file /tmp/dh.Alice,
and outputs to stdout, YB.

	startdh should then take the output of ircdh Alice and send it
to alice, as a /ctcp send of type "dh-key"

When Alice receives the
	/ctcp of type "dh-key"

irc automatically should call:

	"ircdh Sameer YB" (YB is the information in the ctcp packet.

	ircdh will create an XA, and output YA and the key to stdout.

	on getting this information, irc should send YA to Sameer, and
do /encrypt Sameer <key>. (The standard encryption routine in irc is
insecure, but there's a facility for an external crypt program..)

When I receive the
	/ctcp of type "dh-key"

irc automatically should call
	"ircdh Alice YA" (where YA is the information Alice sent me)

	ircdh will see that a /tmp/dh.Alice already exists, so it will
grab the XB from that file, and then compute a key, which it returns.

	Then irc should take the output of "ircdh Alice YA" and have
it do /encrypt Alice <key> where <key> is the output from ircdh Alice
YA.

	So I have the program ircdh working, except for my RNG. I need
help with the interface with irc. Any ircII wizards out there? Thanks.

- -Sameer

Thread