1993-11-16 - ENCRYPTED FILE SYSTEM

Header Data

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3b446f48d75992f87e5f43271c5f716cfcdfd11ab161f359c0b60bf35564e641
Message ID: <01H5DDB8OO429D5QVJ@delphi.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Nov 93 02:04:06 PST

Raw message

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 93 02:04:06 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: ENCRYPTED FILE SYSTEM

"thomas.hughes@chrysalis.org" wrote:
>Subj:   ENCRYPTED FILE SYSTEMS

>>> ObCrypt:  I'm looking for info on designing a distributed encrypted
>>> filesystem.  Any pointers?

>in the "PC" world, look for DISKREET (with Norton's Utilities).

>it simple, "Stacker"-like, and user friendly.

>it seems to offer "feeble DES"
>              and "even more feeble DES"

>it's speed is almost negligable when in use.
> (which doesn't say very much for the "stength" of the encryption.)

No, don't use Diskreet. Use my Secure Drive. Beta now if you want it,
and release with source soon. Uses IDEACFB, protects a hd partition and
floppies, takes only 2K ram, and is very fast. Reasonably user-friendly.
You have to create a D: partition to use on a hard drive.

>If the NSA is paranoid over PGP, what will they think of plug in pirate
>PROMS for USR Couriers that will create obscenely secure connections?
> (although the encrypted connections might not fly along at full speed,
>  that tis but a small price to pay...)

What's the CPU in a Courier? Is the hardware well enough documented
to hack something like this up? I once burned a rom for a friend's
courier, from a file which he had, to give it V.32 instead of just
HST which it previously had. Not sure where the file came from.
An SRAM also had to be installed.

--- MikeIngle@delphi.com

Thread