1993-11-17 - Re: Should we oppose the Data Superhighway/NII?

Header Data

From: Stanton McCandlish <mech@eff.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 401719007d01f04868306abe64cf654029a434ca30cd1eb0c8f7b1946f7ccbdf
Message ID: <199311171754.MAA11672@eff.org>
Reply To: <199311171237.AA00128@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-17 17:54:21 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 17 Nov 93 09:54:21 PST

Raw message

From: Stanton McCandlish <mech@eff.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 93 09:54:21 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Should we oppose the Data Superhighway/NII?

[Re: tv as basic service, but data not]

> Data may become a basic service, some day, but the market is not
> ready for it today.
>
> I am against forcing companies to offer products that no one wants.
> (no one = a major part of there market).

I'd say that the 30%+ of US households with computers, and the 10%+ (and
VERY rapidly growing) with modems is "a major part" of the market.  Far
fewer people had phones once upon a time, and even fewer had cable tv
boxes a decade ago.

Or to put it in a format that advertisers will understand: when my
grandmother, who can't even set the clock on her VCR, is inflamed with
the desire to particpate in internet, simply from reading the articles on
it, and gets ready to buy a Mac and subscribe to AOL, despite a good deal
of technophobia, I think you've got a market brewing.

--
Stanton  McCandlish  mech@eff.org  1:109/1103   EFF  Online  Activist & SysOp
O P E N  P L A T F O R M   C R Y P T O P O L I C Y   O N L I N E  R I G H T S

Thread