1993-11-16 - Re: LAW: Wireless interception

Header Data

From: henry strickland <strick@osc.versant.com>
To: mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin)
Message Hash: 42dc647d113e588c0f151164f8fc81f908d237934dc5fce673fea112f44356e0
Message ID: <9311161749.AA27168@osc.versant.com>
Reply To: <199311150608.AA00124@eff.org>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-16 17:55:50 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Nov 93 09:55:50 PST

Raw message

From: henry strickland <strick@osc.versant.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 93 09:55:50 PST
To: mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin)
Subject: Re: LAW: Wireless interception

# Actually, all this shows is that the drafters of ECPA didn't anticipate
# that TV watchers would use their TVs to overhear cellular conversations.

I've heared the ECPA described as a "bundle of loopholes", and it is illegal
to watch your TV, if it receives cellular conversation, unless you are
actively debugging the problem.

Does anyone know the history of the decline and fall of the Third Party Rule?

I used to be of the understanding that it was legal for you to listen
to anything you could detect in your own airspace, you just couldn't tell
(or sell) the reception to a third party.

Is this an accurate statement of what the FCC policy used to be?
Was it EPCA (86?) that destroyed it, or was it chipped away previously?

					thx, strick

Thread