1993-11-10 - Ever buy encryption software? YOU WILL!

Header Data

From: paul@poboy.b17c.ingr.com (Paul Robichaux)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 51cbd585963178a67333ed2d97e06173c29dc5808928d2fb5ff50d5011b2ca50
Message ID: <199311101608.AA07903@poboy.b17c.ingr.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Nov 93 08:08:57 PST

Raw message

From: paul@poboy.b17c.ingr.com (Paul Robichaux)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 93 08:08:57 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Ever buy encryption software? YOU WILL!

I found this on comp.dcom.telecom and have elided some marketing
material. My editorial comments are enclosed in brackets.

Amazing. _AT&T_, the same folks that were trying to bring us Clipper,
are going to sell DES over-the-counter. I'd be happier with
triple-DES, but this blows my tiny little mind.

I have a call in to Dave Arneke, who's listed as the contact person
for this release. When I can extract some details from him, I'll post
them.

Some key points:
  - products include DES (single or triple?) and SHA, an encrypting
    version of ZMODEM, and unnamed RSA-based products
  - the products have been available in the gov't market for > 1 year
  - AT&T is marketing them; they were developed by another company.

We'll be demonstrating these and other data security products at
COMDEX next week (we're in the NCR booth).

We have a variety of secure communications products in our line,
hardware and software, voice, data, fax, video and wireless.  I'll
keep the information coming as we put it out.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

David Arneke   Media Relations Manager,
AT&T Secure Communications Systems
919 279-7680   david.arneke@att.com

AT&T INTRODUCES SECURITY SOFTWARE TO PROTECT PC, WORKSTATION DATA AND
COMMUNICATIONS

     GREENSBORO, North Carolina -- AT&T is introducing software
programs that protect a variety of laptop, PC and workstation
applications.

     The shrink-wrapped programs, announced today, provide data
privacy, digital signatures and secure data transmission.  They are
the first in a series that will provide end-users with public key
cryptography capabilities.

     AT&T Secure Communications Systems has previously developed a
multilevel secure UNIX software package.  The products announced today
are its first security-related offerings in the DOS/Windows and
Macintosh markets.

[ ... marketing talk from Bill Franklin, business development manager
for AT&T Secure Communications Systems, deleted ]

     The first programs in the series are:

     -- AT&T SecretAgent (R), which implements the Digital Encryption
Standard for privacy and the Digital Signature Algorithm and Secure
Hash Standard to protect the integrity of files stored on or
transmitted from personal computers.  It operates transparently to
e-mail systems.

     -- AT&T dsaSIGN (TM), which provides authentication and data
integrity assurance for electronic documents through use of the
Digital Signature Algorithm and Secure Hash Standard.

     -- AT&T SecureZMODEM (TM), which encrypts data on the fly as it
is transmitted using the ZMODEM communications protocol.

     Additional software products based on RSA public-key technology
are also available.

     "We will also introduce access control products, com- patible
with the products we're announcing today, for PCs, workstations and
networks in the coming months," Franklin said.

     All three programs were developed for AT&T by Information
Security Corporation of Deerfield, Illinois.  They are available
exclusively from AT&T and its distributors.

     ISC will be AT&T's primary representative in the government
market for these and related products.

     The programs use proven technology that has been available in the
government market for more than a year.

     "All three have gained strong acceptance among government
computer users," said Tom Venn, president of Information Security
Corporation.

     The single-copy price for AT&T SecretAgent is $329.95; for AT&T
dsaSIGN, $149.95; and for AT&T SecureZMODEM, $99.95.  Site and
enterprise licenses and volume discounts are available.

     All programs are available now directly from AT&T Secure
Communications Systems and its distributors.

     Customers can get more information on AT&T software security
programs by calling 1 800 203-5563.

     For media inquiries, call David Arneke at AT&T Secure
Communications Systems, 919 279-7680.

- -Paul

- --
Paul Robichaux, KD4JZG     | Caution: cutting edge is sharp. Avoid contact.
Intergraph Federal Systems | Be a cryptography user - ask me how.
	    ** Of course I don't speak for Intergraph. **

Thread